What's new
Adam Fayed Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your favourite methods of saving and investment?

Starfish

Administrator
Staff member
There are many different ways to invest money:

• Stocks
  • Bonds
  • Indexes
  • Bullion
  • Cash savings account
  • Fine art
  • Collectables
Please tell us what your favourite way of saving is and perhaps we can have discussions over the benefits and drawbacks of each method :)

Starfish

Administrator
Staff member
Stock-market linked ETFS with some in bonds too. Collectables and commodities don't pay much long-term.

I agree with that, I have 80% of my portfolio in stocks and 20% in silver but I think I will gain much more from the stock investments than the silver over the long term.

Then eventually I would need to rebalance my portfolio again.

Geoff

As part-time wage earning & yet unpublished writer I find myself lucky to be all in on crypto.

James4Christ

• Stocks
  • Bonds
  • Indexes
  • Bullion
  • Cash savings account
  • Fine art
  • Collectables
Please tell us what your favourite way of saving is and perhaps we can have discussions over the benefits and drawbacks of each method :)
How much is the minimum amount one can start ETF investment with?

Geoff

I guess it's too risky, although it might depend on the amount.
Crypto in its entirity is up & coming. It's true there are plenty bad and mediocre projects out there. Some, though, will make it big time. The years ahead will mark mainstream adoption for top projects. It's possible to skew risk to one's favour through education. I started my first hesitant steps in 2017.

It also depends on how much you are willing to risk. If somebody is 18 and has 1k, it isn't the end of the world if they lose everything buying one individual stock.

They won't regret it at 30, 40 or 50.

If you are 62 and have just retired due to a heart problem, you can't take that much risk.

So, the likely risk-adjusted return gets more important the more you have and the older you get.

Dave Preston

• Stocks
  • Bonds
  • Indexes
  • Bullion
  • Cash savings account
  • Fine art
  • Collectables
Please tell us what your favourite way of saving is and perhaps we can have discussions over the benefits and drawbacks of each methI
I prefer to use cash savings account. It seems like the most comfortable and safe type for me. To calculate all my savings in advance i use this site NerdWallet, just because it`s enough simple to calculate in comparison with other sites.

That's right. In reality, fear stops people investing.

With that being said, it makes sense to have some cash for emergencies, and if people are saving up for short-term objectives.

It doesn't make sense to invest for one year to save up for a holiday, for example, due to market volatility.